On Taking Examinations

One of the instances when we cannot just do as we please but must follow strictly the instructions or directions is when we take examinations. Read the selection that follows and work on the checklist to determine your examination profile.

ON TAKING EXAMINATIONS

On taking examinations

One of us dread examinations. Even long before the examination we are apprehensive about the coverage of the test and we get worried over the types of questions that will be asked. We wonder as we ask ourselves, "Have I studied what they will ask or are they going to ask what I left out or glossed over in my review?" During the examination itself when we finally lay our eyes on the questions, our tension increases. Some of us suffer mental blackout and in the process forget even the little that we know. And after the test is over, our tension still lingers on. It does not leave us as we ask ourselves, "Did I make the grade or did I flunk the test? Did I come through with flying colors?" It is only when the papers have been corrected and finally returned that we can breathe a sigh of relief that the ordeal is over at last.

What is my profile as an examinee? How do I prepare for a test? What do I do as I take it? And when it is over, do I do anything about the results? This checklist will help me find out.

CHECKLIST ON TAKING EXAMINATIONS

Copy the inventory on your paper. Then check the appropriate column to show the extent to which you practice each of the 28 items.

Inventory of Practice

Usually

Sometimes

Never

 

 

 

 

1. I prepare study assignments carefully.

 

 

 

2. I keep well-organized notes of study materials.

 

 

 

3. I organize my study according to main ideas and subordinating details.

 

 

 

4. I over learn important facts and principles.

 

 

 

5. I memorize verbatim formulas, dates, etc.

 

 

 

6. I understand what I memorize by rote.

 

 

 

7. I participate intelligently in classroom discussions.

 

 

 

8. I am alert to possible questions for short quizzes.

 

 

 

9. I find that I retain studied material.

 

 

 

10. I plan and follow well-organized review of studied material.

 

 

 

11. I review selectively.

 

 

 

12. I participate in group reviewing.

 

 

 

13. I refrain from last minute cramming for examinations.

 

 

 

14. I am careful about diet and sleep before an examination.

 

 

 

15. I supply myself with needed material for an examination.

 

 

 

16. I listen carefully to examination instructions.

 

 

 

17. I follow written instructions of examinations.

 

 

 

18. I start answering the examination as soon as the signal is given.

 

 

 

19. I number questions and parts of questions correctly.

 

 

 

20. I look at all the words in the test.

 

 

 

21. I use full sentences in examinations.

 

 

 

22. I answer first the questions of the short-form test that I know best.

 

 

 

23. I make a brief outline before answering an essay question.

 

 

 

24. I reread my essay answers for correct grammar, spelling, etc.

 

 

 

25. I enjoy taking tests.

 

 

 

26. I budget my time in order that I may complete all parts of the examination.

 

 

 

27. I correct my errors on returned test papers.

 

 

 

28. I restudy incorrect answers.